- Opioid Webinar Series Part 3: The Role of Medicaid Managed Care Plans in Addressing the Opioid CrisisMarch 14, 2019March 14, 2019, 1 to 2 p.m. EST – This is the third webinar in a series about addressing the opioid crisis in America. Medicaid managed care plans are poised to play a significant role in helping states address the opioid crisis by incentivizing utilization of effective therapies and developing policies that help stem the flow of prescription opioid drugs. Health plans are also developing models aimed at coordinating and improving treatment of opioid use disorder. During this webinar, HMA public health and prevention experts will provide an overview of current health plan opioid initiatives, as well as offer a roadmap for future treatment and prevention strategies.
- March 1, 2019March 1, 2019, 1 to 2 p.m. EDT– This is the second webinar in a series about addressing the opioid crisis in America. State and local governments – backed by an infusion of federal dollars – are beginning to develop and implement a wide variety of prevention strategies to address the opioid epidemic. And several states are already showing positive initial results. Among the early lessons is that success depends on a coordinated approach to prevention; partnerships among government agencies, law enforcement, and providers are critical; and opportunities to positively impact results exist at every level of the prevention spectrum. During this webinar, HMA public health and prevention experts will provide case studies of innovative and effective opioid misuse and overdose prevention initiatives. Speakers will also outline the key components of an effective opioid prevention strategy, including an understanding of the key drivers of success.
- Military Competency Among Health Care Providers: Best Practices for Screening, Treating and Coordinating Care of VeteransFebruary 28, 2019February 28, 2019, 1 to 2 p.m. EDT — The unique health care needs of veterans pose significant challenges for providers. What’s required can best be called “military competency,” which is a set of tools and strategies aimed at successfully identifying, screening, and treating veterans. Military competency also means the ability to coordinate care across provider groups and health care facilities for specific medical conditions most prevalent in the veteran community. During this webinar, HMA Principal Uche Uchendu, M.D., who also served as chief officer for health equity at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, will outline best practices for providers hoping to achieve military cultural health competency. She will also offer a variety of hands-on strategies for immediately improving care to patients who are veterans.
- The Future of Medicaid Expansion: States to Watch for Potential Ballot Initiatives, Other Expansion EffortsFebruary 20, 2019February 20, 2019, 1 to 2 p.m. EDT — Who would have guessed that there would be an increase in the number of Medicaid expansion states during the Trump administration? In fact, five states have agreed to expand Medicaid since 2016, bringing to 37 the total number of states expanding under the Affordable Care Act. Several of the remaining holdouts are considering expansion as well. The continued interest has been driven by several factors, and the remaining states are rethinking expansion because the Trump administration has afforded leeway to shape expansion programs through work requirements and other variations and innovations. During this webinar, HMA experts will provide an overview of the Medicaid expansion market and take a close look at which of the remaining states are most likely to pursue expansion and why. HMA will also address some of the important program variations states are most likely to consider when shaping
- February 13, 2019February 13, 2019, 1 to 2 p.m. EDT– This is the first webinar in a series about addressing the opioid crisis in America. No one questions the terrible impact opioid abuse has had on America – a grim tally measured in overdoses, dependency, broken families, and soaring health care costs. Less understood is how we got here, and the best way forward. Even as the federal government prepares to invest billions of dollars in battling opioids, important questions remain concerning the most effective way of organizing a complete eco-system of care to tackle this problem. During this webinar, nationally recognized addiction expert and HMA Principal Corey Waller, MD, will discuss how the historical structure of the nation’s approach to addiction treatment hampers progress on opioid addition. Dr. Waller will also identify pathways at the state, provider, and health plan level for fostering an effective opioid treatment eco-system.
- February 11, 2019February 11, 2019, 1 to 2 p.m. EDT–The just-released 2020 Advance Notice Part II represents a net positive for Medicare Advantage plans, including another year of favorable Medicare rates and solid prospects for the growth and performance of the program. During this webinar, HMA Managing Principal and former CMS Deputy Administrator for Medicare Jonathan (Jon) Blum will be joined by HMA Managing Principal Mary Hsieh to provide an overview and analysis of the proposal’s key aspects, including the level of rate increase, growing emphasis on opioids, and efforts to further integrate duals. Speakers will also address what these changes mean for Medicare Advantage plans’ existing strategies and opportunities.